To dehydrate broccoli, wash and trim it into small florets. Blanch the pieces by dropping them in boiling water for 1-2 minutes before submerging them in cold water. Place the prepared slices on dehydrator trays in a single layer and dry them in a food dehydrator at 125°F for 8-12 hours.
Table of Contents
What is the Best Way to Dehydrate Broccoli?
The best method for dehydrating broccoli is to use a food dehydrator. Food dehydrators are designed to make dehydrated foods, including dried vegetables. They are easier to use and more energy efficient than oven drying.
How to Dehydrate Broccoli in a Food Dehydrator
Follow these simple steps to dehydrate broccoli using a food dehydrator:
- Wash your broccoli in cool running water. Cut the broccoli into small pieces.
- Blanch the broccoli florets for 2-3 minutes before submerging them in ice water. Drain and dry the pieces by dabbing with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Lay the broccoli pieces on dehydrator trays in a single layer, ensuring the pieces don’t overlap.
- Dehydrate the broccoli at 125°F for 8-12 hours.
- Once you reach the 8-hour mark, check on your broccoli regularly and test at 30-minute intervals. Broccoli is done once it is crispy and has no moisture when squeezed at room temperature.
- Once the broccoli is completely dry, remove the trays from the dehydrator and allow them to reach room temperature.
- Place the dehydrated broccoli in a labeled, airtight container for long-term storage.
How to Dehydrate Broccoli in an Oven
If you don’t have a food dehydrator, broccoli can also be dried in an oven:
- Prepare the broccoli by rinsing, slicing, and blanching it.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay your prepared broccoli florets across the surface of the baking sheet in a single layer, ensuring the pieces don’t overlap.
- Preheat your oven to the lowest temperature setting. This is usually between 140°F and 170°F.
- Place the broccoli into the oven. Prop the oven door open to promote better airflow and allow humidity to escape.
- Check on the progress of the broccoli regularly. Ovens often have hotspots, so it can be a good idea to move your veggies around the oven by rotating the trays or flipping the broccoli pieces to ensure even drying.
- Begin checking for doneness after 4 hours. Remove a few pieces from the oven, and let them come to room temperature. Once they are crispy, they are done.
- Remove the broccoli from the oven and allow the tray to cool to room temperature.
- Place the broccoli pieces into a labeled, airtight container and store them in a cool, dry place.
How Long Does it Take to Dehydrate Broccoli?
When using a food dehydrator, it usually takes between 8 and 12 hours for broccoli to be fully dried.
If using an oven, the drying time can vary depending on the temperature of the oven. Broccoli will usually take between 4 and 8 hours and should be checked regularly.
Does Broccoli Dehydrate Well?
Broccoli dehydrates well, and dried broccoli retains all the nutrients present in fresh broccoli.
Can You Dehydrate Frozen Broccoli?
You can dehydrate frozen broccoli. Pre-frozen broccoli is already cut and blanched, saving prep time.
There is no need to thaw the frozen broccoli first – simply lay the frozen florets on your dehydrator trays and dehydrate them at 125°F for 6-8 hours.
Benefits of Dehydrating Broccoli
- Broccoli is a highly nutritious food containing iron and fiber
- Dehydrated broccoli has potassium, calcium, magnesium, vitamin A, and vitamin C
- Dehydrated broccoli is a portable, healthy snack
- It can be rehydrated and used for broccoli soup, stews, and casseroles
- It has a long shelf life
- It is rich in antioxidants which can help fight inflammation
How Do You Rehydrate Dehydrated Broccoli?
Rehydrating broccoli is done by placing dehydrated broccoli florets into a bowl and covering them with boiling water. They should fully rehydrate in 15 to 20 minutes.
Another option is to rehydrate broccoli in a bowl of cold water. Place the broccoli into a bowl and top them with cold water. This bowl should be covered and placed in a refrigerator overnight.
How to Store Dehydrated Broccoli
The best way to store dehydrated broccoli is in an airtight container in a dark, dry, and cool room. If heat and moisture get into your dehydrated foods, they will accelerate the spoiling process.
Glass jars or canning jars work well as food storage containers for room temperature storage. Another option is to use Mylar bags or vacuum-seal bags and a vacuum sealer machine if you wish to store them long-term in a freezer.
How Long Does Dehydrated Broccoli Last?
Dehydrated broccoli has a shelf life of 1-2 years. It is best to eat it within this time frame so the quality remains high.