To use a Mr. Coffee dehydrator, slice the food you want to dehydrate into thin, uniform pieces and spread them on the dehydrator trays. Set the dehydrator's temperature between 125°F and 160°F, and allow the food to dry for 3-6 hours until fully dehydrated.
Table of Contents
How Do You Use the Food Dehydrator by Mr. Coffee?
Using a high-quality food dehydrator such as the Mr. Coffee dehydrator is an easy and economical method of food preservation.
If it’s your first time using the machine, be sure to read and follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions for important safeguards.
Here’s how to use the food dehydrator by Mr. Coffee:
- Use a sharp knife or meat slicer to cut the food you want to dehydrate. Most fruit, vegetables, and meats must be sliced into thin pieces. Ensure the slices are no more than 1/4” thick.
- Position the slices of food on the dehydrator trays, spacing them out evenly without touching each other to ensure even drying and to promote air circulation.
- Use the temperature control system to adjust the heat to your preferred setting. For example, if you are preparing beef jerky, a temperature of 160°F is ideal.
- Once the temperature is set, turn on the appliance and let it run until the food is completely dried. The drying time depends on the type of food and the thickness of the slices.
- Keep checking your food every few hours to monitor how it is drying. If some pieces are drying ahead of others, remove them or rotate the dehydrating plates.
- Once all the slices are fully dried, remove them from the dehydrator and cool to room temperature. Store them in airtight bags or containers in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Let the Mr. Coffee’s dehydrator cool down completely before cleaning it. Start by removing the trays and wash them using warm soapy water. Rinse and dry them thoroughly. Use a damp cloth to wipe down the interior and exterior of the dehydrator before storing it.
What is the Temperature Range of a Mr. Coffee Dehydrator?
The temperature of a Mr. Coffee dehydrator ranges from 95°F to 160°F (35°C to 71°C). This range allows you to dehydrate various types of foods, including fruits, herbs, vegetables, and jerky.
What Foods Can You Dehydrate in a Mr. Coffee Dehydrator?
This useful appliance is perfect for drying a wide variety of healthy snacks and everyday foods, including:
- Bread products such as crackers, croutons and breadcrumbs
- Dried goods like noodles, rice, and pasta
- Fruits such as apples, strawberries, grapes, and bananas
- Herbs including rosemary, oregano, thyme, lavender, basil, and mint
- Meats including beef, turkey, chicken, and fish
- Nuts and seeds such as peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, cashews, and pumpkin seeds
- Veggies like tomatoes, onions, peppers, carrots, celery, garlic, and mushrooms
What Features and Benefits Does a Mr. Coffee Food Dehydrator Have?
The Mr. Coffee dehydrator is jam-packed with features that make it a reliable and efficient food dehydrator with several benefits.
1. Adjustable Temperature
The appliance comes with a temperature control knob that allows you to set the temperature between 95°F to 160°F to suit various types of food. The temperature remains stable and consistent, allowing for even drying.
2. Compact Size
The dehydrator’s compact size makes it easy to store in small kitchens or cabinets. It also doesn’t take up much counterspace when in use!
3. Consistent Drying
The heating element and fan work together to ensure even drying of food across all the dehydrator trays.
4. Easy to Clean
The Mr. Coffee dehydrator is easy to clean using soap and water! The removable dehydrator trays allow you to sanitize the machine inside and out.
5. Five Stackable Trays
The dehydrator has five stackable trays for drying different food types simultaneously! It also allows for greater capacity when making large batches of dried food.
6. Transparent Lid
You can easily monitor the progress of your food through the clear lid without having to open the dehydrator and interfere with the drying process.
You can make many dehydrated foods, including fruits, vegetables, herbs, meat, nuts, and more!
The Mr. Coffee dehydrator comes with a 1-year limited warranty for replacement parts.
How to Make Jerky in a Mr. Coffee Dehydrator
Making beef jerky is a breeze in a Mr. Coffee FD5 food dehydrator. Follow these simple steps to make incredible beef jerky:
- The first step is to create a marinade for your jerky to infuse it with flavor. Take a large bowl and add your favorite herbs, spices, and marinating liquid. Consider making a DIY classic marinade using soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, red chili flakes, and black pepper.
- Slice your meat into thin strips with the grain. Add the sliced meat pieces to the marinade bowl, and toss to coat all the slices evenly. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it inside the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight for the best results.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels, removing as much liquid as possible. Discard any leftover marinade.
- Arrange the slices neatly on the dehydrator plate, ensuring no slice touches the other to promote even drying and air circulation.
- Set the temperature of the Mr. Coffee dehydrator to 160°F (71°C) and let it run for 4 to 6 hours or until the jerky is dry.
- Check the jerky from time to time to make sure it is drying evenly. Rotate the trays as needed to ensure they are evenly dried.
- Once the jerky is fully dry, remove it from the dehydrator and cool to room temperature.
- Store the jerky in an airtight container to extend the shelf life. Dried meat can be stored at room temperature for several weeks or in the refrigerator for up to a year.
How Long Does it Take to Make Jerky in a Mr. Coffee Dehydrator?
It takes about 4 to 6 hours to make beef jerky in a Mr. Coffee food dehydrator with the temperature set to 160°F.